About This Check Engine Light Service
When the service technicians at Goodyear Tire & Service Network locations perform engine diagnostics checks, they start by transmitting information from your vehicle's computer into a diagnostic tool. The technician will continue the engine diagnostics service by using performance data to:
- Properly diagnose why your vehicle's check engine light is on
- Develop a recommendation to repair your vehicle
- Show you related symptoms, possible causes, and indicate the degree of urgency with which you need to get your vehicle serviced
- Reset the check engine light
Check Engine Light: Common Questions
Why Regular Engine Maintenance is Important.
Many critical problems can go unnoticed and are almost impossible for even a certified technician to pinpoint without a professional diagnostic tool. And if your check engine light is on, engine diagnostic services are the best way to determine exactly why. There are several possible reasons for an illuminated and/or flashing check engine light:
- Regularly scheduled engine maintenance (such as an oil change) may be due
- Sensors or brake system may require reset or adjustment
- Engine, electrical, or vehicle computer performance issues
How Often Should an Engine Need Serviced?
Your vehicle provides key information in dashboard lights. If the check-engine light is illuminated, you should take your vehicle into service as soon as possible.
However, for optimal vehicle safety and reliability, engine checks should be a part of your annual vehicle maintenance, even if no check-engine light is on or flashing.